Each year, the GreenBiz Forum brings leaders from the business community together to discuss key sustainability trends, strategies and best practices. JLL’s Dan Probst, Global Chairman of Energy and Sustainability, will attend the forum alongside Colin Dyer, JLL’s President and CEO. Below, Dan discusses why sustainability is important to the C-Suite – as both a core value and as a strategic priority.
There’s no question that a well-designed sustainability strategy can bring significant value to an organization. But senior leaders and other executives must constantly juggle competing business priorities, choosing to dedicate time and resources to a few key programs at the expense of others. Why should sustainability top the C-Suite’s list of strategic priorities?
- For firms like JLL, where sustainability services are a key component of our offering, sustainability is a business – we make money at it, and we save money for our clients.
- More and more, clients – both investors and corporations in the real estate world – have established and publicly stated their sustainability objectives. As a result, they increasingly seek real estate solutions that can help them to achieve these objectives – whether through alternative energy services, smart building solutions, or other sustainable practices.
- Sustainability also matters to current and prospective employees, and sustainable workplaces are an important weapon in the war for talent. Employees want to work for a company that they can trust and be proud of – both as a force for good in the marketplace and in their communities.
- In an industry increasingly driven by aggressive M&A, a robust commitment to sustainability can also attract the best and brightest through acquisitions. Sustainability can be an important differentiator as firms seek to be acquired by a company that they respect and can trust.
- Finally, sustainability matters to shareholders – who are increasingly likely to consider the sustainability of the companies they invest in, as a so-called “impact investment.” Firms that combine sustainable business practices with sustainability-driven service offerings are particularly appealing to shareholders.
Interested in learning more? Colin Dyer will discuss this topic in greater detail with Joel Makower, Chairman and Executive Editor of GreenBiz Group, Inc., at the Green Biz Forum on Thursday, February 25, at 10:45am MST.
Dan Probst is Global Chairman of Energy and Sustainability Services at JLL. In this role, Dan is responsible for developing and delivering products and services that help clients reduce energy costs and their real estate related environmental footprint through innovative portfolio and occupancy strategies, workplace standards, and operating practices. Dan is also a founding and current member of JLL’s Global Environmental Sustainability Board. For Dan’s full bio, please click here.